When North Korean leader Kim Jong-un threatened nuclear strikes against the U.S. last month, the test launch of a missile from the Minot missile field scheduled for April was canceled.
Both Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., and Air Force Global Strike Command officials at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., confirmed the U.S. test launch was to be with a missile from Minot. Hoeven, who spoke at the nuclear triad symposium held May 3 in Minot, said in response to the North Korean leader's military action "the great men and women of Minot Air Force Base flew B-52s over to Guam and we sent B-2s to South Korea for exercises with the South Koreans."
Hoeven said the cancellation of the missile test launch didn't get as much attention but that the administration, in this case Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, canceled firing off that test of a Minot AFB Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile.Minot AFB's 91st Missile Wing is one of the Air Force's three operational missile units. The 91st is responsible for 150 Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles that are in underground facilities in the area.
Michele Tasista, a spokeswoman for Air Force Global Strike Command, said the next Minuteman III operational test launch with a missile from the Minot missile field is currently planned for May 21.